Saturday, January 17, 2009

yogurt + cereal = yum

I love yogurt and could have it for breakfast, lunch and dinner!  It is rich, creamy and full of calcium, protein and probiotics.  And because I don’t like soggy cereal, adding it to yogurt helps it keep 100_2205that “crunch” a little bit longer and is a great way to add some whole grains and fruit to a healthy menu.

I usually have plain yogurt and really enjoy the Wallaby brand because it isn’t as “tangy” as most plain yogurts out there.  Plain yogurt usually has much more calcium than flavored yogurts (40% or 400mg).  Plus if you add fruit, you’re adding a bit of natural sweetness and your palate can adjust over time.  Another yogurt that I love is Trader Joe’s thick non-fat greek yogurt.  It is so rich and creamy, almost like having dessert!  Greek style is much thicker and has a higher protein content than regular yogurt.  I use non-fat greek yogurt in many different recipes in place of sour cream, mayonnaise and salad dressing to cut down on fat and add some calcium.

100_2203

Today for lunch I decided to have a nice bowl of yogurt with cereal and fruit.  I am a cereal addict!  I usually have about 5 or 6 different types of cereal in my pantry, and like to mix them all up.  I also like frozen wild blueberries in the winter because they are so darn expensive if you buy them fresh.  Once they melt a little, their sweet blue juice flavors the yogurt.  Feel free to add any kind of fruit you enjoy.  I also had a 1/2 of a pear.  Another great addition to yogurt which adds flavor without calories or fat is cinnamon.  Cinnamon adds such a rich and warm flavor to the creamy, milky yogurt and is a natural combination.  I also had a small peanut butter sandwich with pumpkin butter and a sprinkling of cinnamon.  This is also a great combination, and I usually add banana slices, but didn’t have any on hand.  You should try it!

Here are some of my cereals in my pantry now . . . It always changes

100_2204

Here is a nice picture of the melting blueberries, so yummy!

100_2210

And here is my peanut butter, pumpkin butter sandwich sprinkled with cinnamon of course!  Couldn’t resist that drip of goodness . . .

100_2213

100_2214        

100_2205

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hope you are having a great weekend!

No comments: