Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Let’s get active!

Going to the gym and being active is like a release for me, especially since I don’t dance as much as I used to.  Even if I didn’t really feel like going, once I just go and do it I feel sooo much better and wonder why I didn’t want to go in the first place! 

Many of you out there may be wondering what my gym schedule looks like and how I stay trim with as much as I like to eat and cook all the time.  Well, here is my most recent gym schedule (I go to las vegas athletic club)with a few scheduling adjustments here and there . . .

  • Monday – Abs(30min) and Kickbox (1 hour)
  • Tuesday – Hip Hop (1.25 hours)
  • Wednesday – Body Pump (weight lifting - 1 hour) and sometimes Hip Hop(1.25 hours)
  • Thursday -  off day
  • Friday – spin (1 hour)
  • Saturday – off day
  • Sunday – Body Pump (weight lifting – 1 hour)
  • Chris and I always try to get a good bike ride in on the weekend if the weather is nice (about 25 miles)

When I was dancing I used to go for 2.5 hours/day 5-6 days per week!  In addition to dance team and pilates.  Wow, as I look back I don’t know how I did it.  It was sure a lot of fun though. 

Good memories . . .        At Nevada Ballet Theatre (on the left)

image0

On the UNR Dance Team (in the middle)

100_0279

100_0044

If you EVER get the chance to do pilates on the machines like the reformer and trapeze I highly, highly recommend it.  It lengthens and slims, while toning and building strength.  You will definitely see results!  I would love to get certified in this eventually, but it’s a little out of my price range to do right now. 

Speaking of being active, there are new guidelines out now as many of you have heard about.  To be healthy and prevent many chronic diseases, it is important for those of us under 65 to get at least 30 minutes of moderately intense cardio 5x/week, or 20 minutes of vigorously intense cardio 3x/week along with strength training 2x/week.  You’re body will thank you in the long run.  Most importantly do something that you truly enjoy, whether it’s walking around your neighborhood or playing with your kids.  I go to classes because that is what I’m used to and feel comfortable with, but everyone is different.  And of course, don’t make working out an excuse to eat poorly because you will only see great results if you combine both physical activity and an overall healthy and balanced meal plan.   

I really find that it helps if I plan my schedule a week before and see what activity I will have time for because it always changes.  And then if Plan A doesn’t work out always plan for Plan B.  I also always take my gym bag in my car, so there is never an excuse!  But, I won’t lie there are some days I just say the heck with it . . . I need a day off! 

Just stick with it and most importantly have fun!       

100_1832

2 comments:

Caitlin at Healthy Tipping Point said...

you are so cute! i wish i could dance like you :) i added you to my google reader, im excited for more!

kristen :) said...

Thanks for your comment! I'm excited for yours as well :)