Tuesday, January 5, 2010

a stuffy start to the week

Ever since we got back home my sinuses have been in some kind of a funk and yesterday they decided to wreak havoc on me something fierce.  I didn’t know if I had contracted something from all the hacking people on the plane ride home, or if I seemed to have formed some kind of allergy to coming back to daily grind, ha!  Either way, I was in a bit of a stuffy fog all day where everything was muffled and hazy.  By the afternoon a nice headache greeted me, and by the time I got home I was about ready to burst from the built up sinus pressure. 

Dinner was tasty though.  We made falafel pitas the night before and had some leftovers . . . mmm  So far so good with the Eat In Month Challenge!

Usually for our weekly dinners I’ll plan for 3 larger meals and go grocery shopping the Friday before.  Then on the other days we have leftovers & adapt them to our liking.  It also makes it easy when you prep for the week in advance.  

I think the hardest part of this challenge won’t be during the week surprisingly for me, but the weekends.  Usually Chris and I like to grab at least one meal out together per week or twice per month.  Many times his parents also graciously take us out to eat & catch up, but I don’t think this counts?  Even though we aren’t paying for it, we are essentially eating out which is against the rules :(  ah well, more cooking time in the kitchen, which is just fine by me!

It sure doesn’t look appetizing thanks to the wonderful lighting of our kitchen ;)  I added a bit of spinach to the mix this time, which gave the falafel a bright green color.  It’s underneath all the roasted parsnips and zucchini, topped with NF Greek yogurt and roasted red pepper hummus. 

IMG_6973   

After dinner I became kind of sick to my tummy and my frontal lobe was pulsating with such pressure, I was sure it was going to pop right out of my head.  After lying down for three hours from 6-9pm and taking a Sudafed sinus + allergy I started to feel a bit better.  I was only awake for another 2 1/2 hours after that and crawled back into bed . . .    

What a nice welcoming start back to the work week! lol

~~~~

Today I am feeling better with a slight, deafening backup in the ears.  I wish they would just pop already & stop crackling. . . . ooooh what-cha say?? 

IMG_6981

Breakfast was a easy bowl of quick oats.  I added some cinnamon applesauce to the mix, along with a few dates for sweetness.  Then topped it with a handful of cereal for contrasting crunch, 1/2 a pear and some frozen blueberries.  And of course some TJ’s roasty pb with each bite!

I swear there’s oats under there somewhere . . .

IMG_6992

~~~~

Hope you all had a wonderful day!  I’m looking forward to making chicken enchiladas for dinner (another easy recipe!) & possibly going to a kick-butt hip hop class later!  Word.

    

 

11 comments:

Gina; The Candid RD said...

That's something I have thought about actually, whether my parents or Nick's mom taking us out to dinner actually counts as "eating out". Nick and I are going to attempt to not eat out at all this month (other than once for each of our birthdays).

I was sick this week. I honestly think it could have been much worse, but I did lose more voice, entirely. I had a slight headache and sore throat, then I started to get the congestion (ugh) but now it's gone, 4 days later. I hope you feel better. Tylenol AM/PM was my lifesaver! I only took half a dose each day, not bad.

Anonymous said...

hip hop class?!! whoo! that sounds SO FUN. glad you are feeling better girl!

Diana said...

Sorry about your sinuses!

Ooh, I love falafel! Yummy eats!

Hip hop sounds like fuuuunnnn! :)

tam said...

Oooooo poor you hope your feeling better? I'm suffering from the worst back pain and can't do anything not good especially after the christmas indulgences! Your breakfast looks yummy xx

Whitney @ Lettuce Love said...

Yummy oatmeal! Hope you start to feel better :)

Kasey said...

Hope you continue to feel better! I went through the same thing last week.

MelissaNibbles said...

Hip hop class sounds like a blast!

I hope your sinuses clear up soon!

Astra Libris said...

Ohhh, Kristen, poor you, I hope you feel better soon! Sinus headaches are dreadful! I'm so impressed that you fixed such a glorious falafel supper even while feeling under the weather - you are amazing!

MelindaRD said...

Sorry you aren't feeling well. I hope it goes away soon and you are back to normal. Glad your challenge is going well. We always make a few larger meals and then do leftovers. I often find myself mixing and matching leftovers for lunches.

Naomi(Onefitfoodie) said...

hip hop class sounds fun!! like zummmbaaaaa

all your pics are great, so mouthwatering!

I hope you feel better ASAP!

sophia said...

Oh, poor girl. I hope you feel better soon. Now go kick some ass in that hip-hop class!