Sunday, January 10, 2010

going crazy with CSS

Whew!  I’ve been trying to work on designing the new template for many hours today and I think my head is about ready to explode!!!  I first got a theme template from a site called VivaThemes and I was not impressed at all.  I liked the overall look of the theme, but I also spent many hours to find it was not user-friendly, customizable and the customer service was terrible.  Even worse I couldn’t get a refund, which is a load of crap.  I would not recommend, but I won’t rant on about that . . .

I did find a new theme that is much more user friendly and I’ve been spending more time trying to figure it out.  While I will have to eventually code certain things, it just seems better so I guess it’s worth it.  ugh!!!

Hopefully I can get it looking somewhat presentable soon, yay!

~~~~

Yesterday our Red Rock ride was a blast!  Even though I was born and raised in Las Vegas and have been to Red Rock thousands of times, I’ve never cycled up there before.  Even though the temperature wasn’t too bad, it was pretty chilly coming down those hills!  brrr my blood couldn’t get flowing and my muscles wouldn’t work up the hills, c’mon legs work!

It was a lot of fun either way and we met some other fellow cyclists that were really nice and live near us too :)

The ride started at Great Harvest in Summerlin, but first I wanted to have breakfast at home since I wasn’t sure what they would be serving.  The night before I made a quick batch of muesli, oh boy I was so excited for breakfast in the am!

IMG_7079

I love the little chunks of dates and nuts in the mix.

IMG_7085

This overnight mix contained (per serving):

  • 1/4 cup muesli + 2 tbsp regular oats
  • 3 oz vanilla yogurt (about 1/4 cup)
  • 1/4 cup NF milk
  • 1/2 banana
  • 1 tsp chia seeds
  • cinnamon

 IMG_7089

When we got up and ready for breakfast I added some grapes, pistachios, Kashi Warm Cinnamon cereal and a spoonful of pb.  Delish!  I am going to have to make this more often because it was easy and satisfying.

IMG_7107

IMG_7103

I got this cute bowl from Anthropologie, love that store!  But I have to limit my stops there because it’s dangerous.

IMG_7109

redrock6When we got to Great Harvest they had french toast, maple syrup and sausage, along with coffee and juice.  We grabbed two toasts and a sausage to share.  I had about 1 and 1/2 pieces of toast + syrup mmm not too bad, but I’m glad we ate breakfast before :)

I didn’t really like riding right next to cars whizzing by at 60mph or inhaling the exhaust fumes at times, but the views were absolutely gorgeous!  The pictures don’t do it justice.  There’s me at the back.  The hills killed me since I couldn’t get my legs to work in the cold.  As the incline increased, I would fall behind lol

Wanna grab a wheel?  That’s ‘cyclist speak’ for getting really close to someone’s back wheel and drafting.  It does actually help keep the pace.

IMG00043-20100109-1150

redrockride3It was a 41 mile ride total and I had a packet of Luna Moons halfway through. 

Even though it was pretty chilly going down the hills, it’s amazing to me that here in Vegas we can be outdoors in shorts and a t-shirt in January!

globar After the ride I had a Post Workout Glo Bar with 11g of protein!  I don’t know if I’ve had it too long, but it was kind of stale & didn’t have too much flavor but I liked the texture. 

My muscles and tummy thanked me and I do like the nutritional profile :)  I’m still making my way sampling the others and will review them in the near future.

I made some spruced up Annie’s mac for lunch after we got home.  Boy I was hungry because I ate almost 2 bowls and then felt ready for dinner!  Instead I drank some water and had a plain coconut water which satisfied me at least for awhile.

IMG_7123

Chris and I couldn’t really decide what to make for dinner even though I just went grocery shopping Friday (doh!).  We didn’t really ‘feel’ like anything, but when I mentioned possibly having a big fat burger that was all we could think about!  So, we hoped in the car and picked up some burger ingredients, along with a movie called ‘The Goods’.  It was stupid but pretty darn funny :)

I haven’t had a burger in ages, but it was just what we were craving mmm  That’s a slice of Great Harvest Dakota under the burger that we had to purchase before the ride.  I think Dakota is my favorite GH bread!

IMG_7125

I also found these Vit D fortified mushrooms.  Isn’t that cool?!  They basically expose the mushrooms to UV light, detailed here.

IMG_7124

IMG_7126

I also made some ‘chips’ on the side, courtesy of Kath :)  Have you made these before?  They had the best texture and were really fun to eat.  We kind of burned them though, but most were still were salvageable.  I sprinkled mine with salt, garlic powder and parmesan before baking at 375 F for 18 min (at 15 they didn’t look toasty, but at 18 they got a bit too burnt, so I would recommend 16 minutes).   

IMG_7131

And we couldn’t pass up this at the store!  I don’t think I can be let loose in any type of grocery store really.  We went in for a few items and went to the check out with our hands full!  I even found a kabocha and spaghetti squash while looking for mushrooms and about shrieked with glee when I saw them!

Dreyer’s 1/2 fat mint cookie crunch + movie = :)

IMG_7136

~~~~

Much more time is needed to figure out this new theme, so I may be MIA for a little bit but will return!  Classes also start tomorrow, ugh.  I am taking Statistics (pray for me!) and an Independent Study.  I hope to do an internship with a corporate wellness program here, but have to get things straightened out with my work schedule first : /  And I need to make big strides on the thesis.  Sometimes I just wish I had a clone to get everything done, right?

Thank you so much for all your sports nutrition suggestions, I think those are great topics to talk about in the future. 

Have a wonderful week!   

Are you familiar with CSS?  Did you design your own blog or get outside help?  Any suggestions are much appreciated!

 

 

   

 

 

17 comments:

Diana said...

cycling looks like FUN!

CSS...not so much. I suggest changing one or two small things at a time and seeing what changes. I also back up the theme as I work on it. I'll update 25% of it and when I get the 25% complete, I copy the code and save it in a separate back up file in case I mess up the next 25%, I can just go back to 1/4 correct, instead of starting all over.

Good luck! :)

Anonymous said...

ahh i love me a good burger!! what a great day riding bikes!

Emily said...

Love your cute anthro bowl!

Sounds like you had a great ride. It looks absolutely gorgeous there. I'm jealous...city dwelling can be fun, but sometimes I miss the open spaces!

I just use a template from blogger and edit the css (definitely basics). Maybe someday I'll have a real template, lol.

Gina; The Candid RD said...

I'd like to re-do my template, but I Really know nothing about how to go about doing it. I will take any advice you learn!

I'm glad you enjoyed your ride. I'm assuming Great Harvest is a restaurant? We have a bread chop called Great Harvest and they have the BEST bread I've ever had. It's amazing.

I think a burger after a long ride is the PERFECT go-to dinner. I also love those Glo bars, I have about 5 yet to eat from a giveaway I won!

As for the coconut water, I'm not a fan of the unflavored kind. I think it smells, then when I drink it all I can think about is the smell! It does the trick as far as re-hydrating though.

Good luck on the template!

Naomi(Onefitfoodie) said...

kale chips are the bEST! graet job on your bike ride and the GLO BAR is the perfect PWO treat!! packed with protein and healthy carbs to refuel your hard working muscles!!

100% fortified mushrooms?! looks great!! what a dinner!!

Anonymous said...

That burger and overnight mix looks soo great!
I am going to attempt mushroom burgers tonight..we'll see how it goes!
Good luck with working on your format, sorry I can't help. I'm more confused with blog stuff then you. haha.

Estela @ Weekly Bite said...

What a great day of cycling!!!

Love your eats too!

Missy said...

I had everyone do my blog stuff for me so sorry..I'm of now help! Your kale chips look great! Glad you had a nice day of cycling!

MelindaRD said...

Sorry I can't help with the CSS issue. Sorry you are having so many problems. I can't beleive they won't refund you. Looks like it was a great day for your ride. I miss Red Rock. Yummy breakfast too!

Kasey said...

I am clueless about CSS! I LOVE that bowl.

Jessica @ How Sweet said...

I wish I knew more about CSS. :( I have someone helping me with my blog now, but I wish I knew more. How did you learn some?

Shannon said...

I have no idea how to play with CSS, formatting, writing codes, etc. I have been trying to play with my blog too, but I think if I actually want to do anything fancy I am just going to have to have a professional help me!

You live in such a beautiful place! I will be visiting Vegas soon and I hope we can take some road trips to some of these beautiful spots!

Rachel said...

just found your blog. love the pics!, and good luck with the template. I'm on the hunt for a new one too! I've never tried the glo bar, but I'm intrigued. Thanks Kristen, have a good evening!

Elina said...

I wish I knew how to ride a bike...
That burger looks awesome! And I love those fortified mushrooms. Way to get higher nutritional bust, naturally (kinda ;) .
Good luck with the template. I used a template I found online and then my husband helped me tweak it so unfortunately i'm not too helpful.

Astra Libris said...

Your muesli breakfast sounds heavenly!! Congratulations on conquering that ride in the cold weather - I'm so impressed! I'm also amazed that Vegas seems to be warmer than Georgia at the moment! :-)

Your burger is gorgeous! I love mushrooms atop a burger - soooo flavorful!

Good luck with the template design challenges, and with statistics - you're brave! :-) I know you'll do awesome!!

Thinspired said...

Hi Kristen! You and your hubby are always having fun outdoors it seems! That is just awesome.
Sometimes a big fat burger is all that will do the trick, right? Yours looks scrumptious, and thanks for the tip on Vit-D mushrooms. Never heard of 'em, but I think after spending so long in the dreary UK, I am short on Vitamin D for sure!

chow and chatter said...

i just changed my own template you can download loads for free wasn't so hard, love the polenta, but its addictive messing with a site!

congrats on the 5k