Usually in my meal planning I like to include an easy prep meal that I can fall back on if something comes up during the week, or if I get home later and just don’t feel like putting something together.
Well, it was one of those days yesterday and I love having something for plan B that is simple, healthy and filling!
It has finally started to cool down somewhat here, well, it’s still in the 70s during the day which is like summer for many of you. I am enjoying being able to open the windows and having a considerably lower power bill. Another great thing about the cool down that I absolutely adore is starting to make more soups and casseroles again!!!! Yay! I think those are my favorites to make because they are so easy and can be adjusted based on what ingredients are on hand.
On to the easiest recipe in the world. . .
- TJ’s Roasted Red Pepper & Tomato Soup (I get the low-sodium version)
- 1/2 box low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups frozen veggies and big handfuls of torn spinach
- 1 cup grilled balsamic-marinated chicken or you could sub chickpeas/beans
- Various spices, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, cinnamon (gives it some warmth)
- 2 cups cooked pasta, or some rice, quinoa, etc.
In a pot place all the ingredients and warm to your liking.
These are also great if you don’t have fresh basil on hand. It’s not as flavorful as fresh, but it works. I used about 8 cubes for the soup.
That’s it! I like to serve it with a nice grilled cheese or cheesy naan for dipping (fontina with oregano). I am addicted to naan with pretty much anything at the moment.
What’s the easiest back up meal you like to make?