Monday, August 24, 2009

first day of school

IMG_4490 When I was just a wee whooper snapper, I used to get so terribly excited for school.  I planned for that first day weeks in advance, went shopping with mom to get some new outfits, supplies, a backpack, and organized my binders for each class with multiple color coded tabs.  Yes, I was even planning when I was a kid, probably even in the womb!

I started classes again today, like so many others, and the most planning I’ve done is purchasing my books.  I don’t know what it is but I don’t get that excited anymore.  I mean the classes I am taking seem really interesting so far (still have one more on Thursday), but it’s just not like when I was a kid.  Anyone else? 

I went to adv sports nutrition today and it seems like it will be a nice refresher and also very interesting!  I just wish the ex phys program had more classes like this with a specific track emphasis of sports nutrition.  Ah well.  Thursday I have research methods in physical activity.  I’m hoping this will be some great information to help me out with my thesis, because as of right now I’m in a rock and a hard place.  I need to get my butt in gear and decide what I’d like to do.

Did everyone have a good weekend?  I actually felt like I got everything I needed to get done this weekend, which is almost always not the case.  I’m always wishing for just one more day to finish the laundry, do this, make that, just relax.  I actually got to bed by 9pm, and it was awesome to actually get 8 full hours of sleep.  I haven’t had that in a long time.  How many hours of sleep do you need to feel chipper? 

Why did I go to bed so early?  Well, being that my body was screaming at me for not getting enough sleep most nights, combined with a 30 mile bike ride, I was pooped!  If you saw my post on Twitter, I had planned to ride 50 miles on Sunday with the green valley cyclists club.  I was nervous to begin with for this ride because the most I’ve ridden is about 31 miles.  Then, when we arrived to the starting point, I saw about 25 other cyclists many of whom rode professionally in Europe, and I thought . . . you know this probably isn’t a good idea for me right now.  And boy was I glad I went on the other group ride!  Chris told me it was just crazy.  My ride was good, a little too easy, but good.  I’m feeling a lot more comfortable on my bike, but I still need to master confidence with speed.  I’m always afraid I’m going to totally biff it!      

If you ever get the chance to speak to a professional cyclist, be prepared to be dumbfounded, intimidated and feel like a complete loser! (or just human) They are just on a completely different level that I cannot comprehend, aside from most athletes even.  We talked to this one cyclist who still rides competitively, but not like he used to since he blew out his shoulder racing 60 mph and also blew out his knee on another crash, both of which the doctor’s said he probably wouldn’t race again.  Since his major crash, he took 10 years off, gained weight, then started racing again 3 years ago and is already kicking everyone’s tail.  What?!  He also said that 50 mile ride was a ‘cool-down’ from his 75 mile ride just the day before.  What?!  I just don’t get it, someone explain this to me?!  crazy.  Props to Chris for going on that ride.  I’m going to have to have a little more than 5 rides under my belt I guess. 

I also talked to him about his diet, supplements, ergogenic aids and what he does to keep in the best shape.  He told me that he probably burns upwards of 5,000 kcals/day and there is no way he can replenish all of that realistically.  I thought this was interesting.  Do you think you could eat 5,000 + kcals/day without eating high calorie junk?  I was thinking I should do an interview for the blog!

I sure wish I would have had my little camera, I need to take pictures next time.  It looks so neat when there are 25+ people allIMG_4476 riding together.  It’s a very empowering feeling too, but then I lose it when I fall back in the slow-poke group hehe  

Dinner tonight was sure simple and filled with lots of veggies!  We slathered some portabella mushrooms with TJ’s BBQ sauce and grilled them along with some other random veggies we had in the fridge to use. 

I topped them with some cheese and placed them on TJ’s flat IMG_4492bread (love that bread!).  I also made a simple hummus dip with some more of that lemon basil I’m in love with, which was an awesome spread.  Simply swirl all the ingredients below in a food processor!

  • 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed 
  • 2 tbsp tahini
  • 2 tsp cumin (we like cumin, so 1 tsp would be sufficient)
  • 2 small cloves garlic
  • 2 bunches lemon basil (this is the best!)
  • salt and pepper
  • olive oil to make it smooth

simply. delish.

IMG_4473

On the side we grilled some sweet potatoes and fingerling potatoes for fries.  I’m not much of a ketchup eater really and we don’t have any in our fridge.  The only time I do eat it is when we go out to eat and it’s there staring at me.  My ‘ketchup’ was greek yogurt and lemon basil hummus :)

IMG_4490

Guess what I’m having for lunch tomorrow?  I usually always take leftovers from dinner and transform it for lunch the next day.  That way it saves me time in the morning.  Tomorrow I’m not going to have too much time since I have to get blood work early, yuck! I just hate getting blood work, I always get woozy since I have to fast.  Hope your week is going well so far!  

IMG_4481

Anyone start classes today, or drop off a kiddie to school?  Are you looking forward to the school term? 

12 comments:

Tyler said...

your dinner looks delicious!! i love grilled veggies, and lemon basil hummus sounds awesome!

this is my first fall ever not going back to school...its very weird not to be in class, but i think i need the break :)

chow and chatter said...

enjoy school lovie

Lainie said...

I can't believe you aren't much of a ketchup eater!!! I pretty much live for the stuff.

Anonymous said...

Looks delish, again! I go to school at a small technical college here in Montana--my dream had been to go to the CIA but the $ and having to move meant that I probably never would go. I am sure there are some great things about the CIA, but I think that you get out of it whatever you put into it anyway, and I am getting all I can out of this inexpensive program (probably 1/5 the cost of the CIA, not to mention the fact that it is just across town meaning I could keep my business going). We have a couple of great chefs and they actually care (unlike what I hear about the CIA). And I believe I have your new career: nutritional fitness culinarian! You can combine cooking skill to create healty recipes and an exercise program--very holistic! Really, a lot of culinary training these days is about healthy eating and nutrition, so there is no conflict there, then you just have to work in the exercise angle...you might be on the verge of defining a new career path!

Anonymous said...

I used to get excited when schools begin, but not anymore. maybe a sign that I'm getting old?

5000 cal a day? yes, I think it's hard to get it all only from healthy food. interesting to think about it though.

dinner looks delicious! :)

Shannon said...

I love back to school time! I was a school counselor for 6 years before going back this year to be a student myself. Being the student instead of the counselor feels very different! But I'm excited. We'll see how I feel by the time I'm in my last semesters!

What a great bike ride! I need to get into biking.

Emily said...

Dinner looks so fresh and fantastic. Love all those veggies!

I sort of get excited about back to school stuff. This is my third week of internship orientation, so it's not quite as exciting, but I did buy a new planner (my fave bts accessory).

You should definitely research replenishing 5,000 cals a day healthfully. I think it can be done! :-)

Susan said...

I have no clue how you could eat 5,000 calories/day of healthy food. You'd have to eat constantly!

I miss school...I would love to go back!

MelindaRD said...

I start teaching a new term with Kaplan tomorrow. But I also finished one last week, so I am not really returning from a big break. I am going to start again for another master's degree and the official class room date is later in September so I have a teeny bit more time.
As for the population here, there are around 50,000-55,000 people here. I have seen a few estimates. There are 2 cities and a bunch of little villages. The island is smaller than all of Vegas. It is about 18x11 miles. Going to the other side is shorter than my drive from north Vegas to Henderson!

Gina; The Candid RD said...

This is the first year that I have not had to start school, it' so weird!! I'm not going to lie, I kind of like it :) I was always like you though, I LOVED to start school. I loved getting new supplies, and getting out of the house!

I would love to see a post with the professional cyclist. I would be very curious as to how in the world he gets 5000 calories a day, without eating crap! I'd be willing to bet he eats a lot of high caloie sports bars/powerbars. Still, yikes!

Heather S-G said...

This wrap looks so amazing! I like to have at least 8 hours, but usually only get 5 or 6...which makes me kinda sad, cuz I really like to sleep. My kiddos just started their 2nd week of school...I think they're "mostly" glad to be back :D

The Fat Dietitian said...

I love school, and I get excited every semester! Your dinner looks yummy and simple, the perfect combo. My thesis (at the moment) is looking at dietary compounds that activate the sirtuin genes... Hope your class tomorrow goes well!