Wednesday, September 16, 2009

munchies

IMG_4696 Yay for Wednesday!  I hope all your weeks are going well.  Last night I was determined to be efficient with my limited time.  I was thinking about stopping at the Whole Foods on the way home, since I was missing a few ingredients for dinner, but I knew that would just be danger.  I try to make only one or two grocery-related stops per week, otherwise if I just stop to pick up one thing I tend to walk out with the entire store!  I like to peruse the aisles, finding any cool thing to try and discover.  Any one else like that?  Plus it’s a big waste of time, so I decided to fight the urge to stop and improvise with what I had at home.  But, somehow I still managed to go to the store, you’ll see (I mean read).

I decided to make lettuce boats sometime this week and last night was perfect because they are really pretty quick.  I also killed two birds with one stone and prepped veggies for the peanut butter noodles I plan on making for Thursday.  I think this is really what I need to do from now on.  I need to prep on the weekends with the little spare time I have (ha!) so that dinner during the week isn’t so laborious and time consuming.  Cooking is supposed to be fun, right?  I love cooking because it is like an outlet for me and I enjoy the time and every sensory aspect of it, but it is just not as feasible now.  Plus, Chris is also working full-time and taking classes at night so while he’s getting ready for class, I’m left prepping and cleaning up.  Even though he is a good helper when he has time :)

Another great and quick dinner is Annie’s Mac and Cheese, but I always have to ‘spruce up Annie’ with a little extra ingredients like veggies, tofu, mushrooms, yogurt and cheese.  Here’s my first sprucing up post.  This time I just threw in random leftovers we had in the fridge, easy and yummy!

IMG_4693

Here’s the lettuce boats, don’t you love the ancient plates :)  Hey, they work, right?

 IMG_4696 

Yum!  They turned out really good and refreshing.  You can find the recipe here  :)  I also like to pair them with some soba noodles.

IMG_4702 

Before I left from work around 4pm I had a snack of greek yogurt, cereal and cantaloupe, because this helps me from getting too hungry for dinner.  If I get too hungry I tend to raid the kitchen like a crazy person.  Usually I just much on baby carrots while I make dinner and that works.  I also felt pretty full from dinner, but for some reason I was still craving something after dinner!  Oh no, the munchies were attacking!  Okay plan B.  When this happens I try to go for a walk or go upstairs to work on things to take my mind off of it.  I did the above and usually that works, but last night I was really craving some fro yo! 

The urge would not leave me (Chris was also not helping) and so I decided to fuel our cravings and went to a nearby Fresh & Easy to get something cold and creamy.  I normally don’t shop here exclusively, but boy this store is dangerous and has really good prices.  I went in for some frozen yogurt and came out with cereal, fig bars and pb pretzels too, geez!  All for only $10, though.  I can’t be controlled in any grocery situation :)  Every grocery store should come with a warning:  CAUTION! you WILL buy more than you really need.

I had a bowl of 1/2 fat vanilla bean and a crumbling of 1/2 leftover banana muffin on top  mmmm . . . but then I proceeded to grab a handful of popcorn and pb pretzels to try!  And that was it, the munchies were defeated, well sort of.

I am sooo looking forward to the weekend and the GREEK FOOD FESTIVAL!!!!!!!!!!!!  We absolutely love this every year and the food is well, phenomenal.  We may also be going to a pink martini concert on Sunday night (this group is really awesome), but I really have to study, research, get ready for a project and an exam on Monday eek!   

What do you do to battle an attack of the munchies?    

 

12 comments:

Gina; The Candid RD said...

Wow, you've got an exciting weekend coming up! Sounds like a lot of fun events.

I love your lettuce boats. I think it's a great idea to prep over the weekend, that's what I usually do. I cut and cook my veggies on Sunday, and usually cook my meat on Sunday as well.

When I get the munchies, and I know I've already eaten too much, I gargle with Listerine!! It's so powerful and you really can't eat anything after you rinse with it. Sneaky!

Oh, and by the way, peanut butter noodles?! What?! I can't wait to see those!

MelindaRD said...

I more than understand the grocery store issue. I will stop for one thing at the commissary and spend $80 on I don't even know what. But I have found that my house is not stocked here like in Vegas. So if I am making something for dinner I may not have a sauce or other condiment on hand, so it is back to the grocery store. It took me like 2 weeks to remember to pick up tartar sauce so we could eat the tilapia fish sticks.

And fresh and easy can make it so much worse. I love the lemon chili pistachios. Also, those breakfast burritos are tasty. One would last me 3 mornings at work. It is certainly a fun store and very reasonable.

Elina said...

2 great meals! I also can't control myself in a grocery store. There are just so many yummy foods to try; it's hard for a foodie to resist ;)

Jess said...

Yum! Those lettuce wraps look yummy. I am always recommending those to clients as it can cut lots of calories without losing much taste.

Astra Libris said...

Oooh, I can't wait to hear about the Greek Food Festival!!

I am the EXACT same way in the grocery store... :-) Any grocery store... :-) In fact, I just wrote a post about the joys of grocery shopping, I love it so much... *giggles* :-) It's so much fun to stroll leasurely and discover new items! Luckily, Zach and I both like grocery shopping, so we often have "grocery store dates" and go grocery shopping together on the weekends - silly and cheesy, I know, but fun. :-)

Your lettuce wraps are so gorgeous, and I loooove your dressed up Annie's! You've taught me to dress up our Annie's mac too - thank you! :-)

Astra Libris said...

P.S. When I have the munchies after supper I fix a cup of hot tea, which I love - it feels like a soothing indulgence, but it's calorie free, of course! :-) It usually does the trick... but sometimes I just have to bake cookies... :-)

A said...

My husband is a HUGE lettuce wrap lover! I'll have to start making them at home! As for the grocery store.... I have the same problem. I could walk around and look at (and buy) new crap every day! I once saw a documentary about stores (including grocery stores) and how they do studies... they make the walls and floors in colors that make people want to shop and buy more.... they even do studies on what music makes people want to buy more and play it at certain volumes!! Crazy stuff!! I always try to plan my weekly meals and then make my list. Then I eat BEFORE I go to the grocery store and buy only (I try) what's on the list! Ha! Great post! It really hit home w/ me! :D
-A

Anonymous said...

I had to laugh at your comment about taking too long perusing the aisles at the grocery - I do the same thing! I LOVE just walking around looking at everything and thinking of all the cool things I can make. Sometimes I get a little too ambitious and end up with lots of stuff I don't know what to do with. Husbands are great for time-control since they just want to get in and get out. Have a great day. =)

Emily said...

Love the lettuce boats. I remember making them with my mom over the summer and using your recipe for the sauce. :-)

I get the munchies more when I'm at home, which is rarely anymore! If it's right before bed, I'll just go to bed, but if not, then I'll usually eat something small.

kiss my spatula said...

i LOVE your lettuce boats. they are the perfect treat, so tasty and so gulit-free! :)

Devan said...

those munchie meals look incredible!!
i love snacking on carrots and wasabi peas when im feeling snacky!
i love lettuce boats :) i need to make them more often

bhealthier said...

i forget what i was going to say. but I was just checkin in with you. Love the thesis idea and loved your weekend recap!